Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

steering wheel removal help -

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
presland123

presland123

steering wheel removal help - Empty
PostSubject: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11 2008, 13:13

Hi all,

im new to split ownership, owned my 65 lhd with double cargo doors both side and standard and currently sorting the electrics and tidying up the paint. Previously owned about 20 beetles and finally got the split I wanted.

I hav dropped spindles and complete straight axle kit ready to fit but at the moment I just cant remove the old, cracked steering wheel.

I am using a 3 eared pulley with a tool at the bottom of the steering wheel to prevent damage and using boiling water as advised elsewhere to helo but it just wont budge and beleive me, I am giving it some pressure.

If anyone is able to help (I live in South Witham, near Stamford) I woudl really appreciate this. I cant beleive I can replace engines, electrics atc and cant get a bleeding wheel off!

I hope to be back on the road in a few months so hope to meet some of you around at the shows.

David
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2008, 07:31

Hi and welcome David

i use a gas soldering iron without the attachment on so it's basically a small blow torch, i just heat the metal on the steering wheel around the column for a fe minutes then tap from underneath with a drift and a hammer. they usually come off pretty east like that. just make sure you dont hit the plastic on the steering wheel because it'll crack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.RoadHouseretro.com
presland123

presland123

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2008, 08:35

Him Tim, thanks for the advice.

I used a plumbing blow torch and 10 mins later and a few turns on the pulley and it cracked.

Experience counts for a lot, much appreciated.

Now onto spraying the dash!

Hope to see you later in the year at a few meets.

David
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2008, 09:23

Cool, glad you got it shifted Smile

Yeah once the shows start we'll have to get meet up at them, also for all the people localish to Stamford we'll be having a few cruise nights and also i though about a camping trip to the east coastone weekend. there's a cool campsite a Stiffkey near Wells we often go to..
Back to top Go down
http://www.RoadHouseretro.com
Veggie

Veggie

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12 2008, 10:45

Quote :
there's a cool campsite a Stiffkey near Wells we often go to..
Great site, been there years ago with my folks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: steering wheel removal help -   steering wheel removal help - Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

steering wheel removal help -
Page 1 of 1