Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hello from California...

Go down 
+7
dom67
Superflyguy
super-craig
beatnick
rusty
Jay Jay
Tim
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tim
Admin
Tim

Hello from California... Empty
PostSubject: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15 2008, 07:26

that's it really... for now Smile

Last edited by Tim on Tue Apr 15 2008, 21:55; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.RoadHouseretro.com
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15 2008, 09:08

so i stepped out my motel room this morning and the first car i see is...

Hello from California... Chchm

Hello from California... Chchm1

Hello from California... Chchm2

Hello from California... Chchm3

Chevy Chevelle Malibu, very original with lovely patina and little rust by the look of it... tempted to put a note under the wiper... anyone interested? Wink
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15 2008, 10:32

hey tim. hope all is well for ya mate. great find as your first car to spot in L.A. oh by the way i may have an engine sorted out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rusty

rusty

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15 2008, 13:43

hey tim
hows the weather!
nice car, just need the garage Wink
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15 2008, 22:32

This morning i sorted out my hire car and went and bought a TomTom so i can find my way around.... i obviously didn't read the instructions as i for the second time in my life(once 4 years ago was more than enough!) i ended up right in the Middle of the 'Hood' of Compton city :shock: while i was on the phone to Richie getting the correct directions i'm sure the 2 Homies on their front porch were having a discussion about whether they should rob me or not Laughing

So due to spending most of the day lost Laughing i didn't get many interesting photos...

Some ugly camper driving down the road, looked very unstable! also looked worse/better in an ugly but almost cool kind of way from the front, based quite a small jap pickup by the look of it....

Hello from California... Tue

An old Edsel... certainly not the prettiest of 50's cars but interesting and i wouldn't say no to cruising around in it for a while

Hello from California... Tue1

Hello from California... Tue2

My shippers(Joey) Notch... not alot of people's cup of tea as it's on air and will run 18" wheels but it was already a shitty old English custom effort so was butchered to a point to start with...

Hello from California... Tue3

Hello from California... Tue4

not sure what this was exactly this was as i just drove past it but looked pretty cool for $800....

Hello from California... Tue5
Back to top Go down
beatnick

beatnick

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2008, 13:59

keep em coming mate great piccies
nick
Back to top Go down
http://www.campersagogo.net
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16 2008, 23:44

Richie's workshop... next door to my new one Wink

Hello from California... Wed

Arriving in Huntington...

Hello from California... Wed1

Hello from California... Wed2

Huntington Beach pier...

Hello from California... Wed3

50 Ford Woody, mmmmm....

Hello from California... Wed4

Hello from California... Wed5

erm well it was almost cool Laughing

Hello from California... Wed6

My beast Cool

Hello from California... Wed7

This was just in the supermarket carpark...

Hello from California... Wed9

Hello from California... Wed8

i found this in the 1973 Moon catalog...

Hello from California... Wed10

Last edited by Tim on Fri Apr 18 2008, 17:03; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2008, 00:14

Jimmy has a workshop across the way from Richie... this is his daily driver which has been in his family since 1960...

Hello from California... Wed11

Hello from California... Wed12

how cool!
Back to top Go down
super-craig

super-craig

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2008, 07:18

looks like you having a great time tim Cool keep those pics coming of the cool motors Cool
Back to top Go down
Superflyguy

Superflyguy

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17 2008, 10:34

Lucky Bstard !!
That Woody is Way cool, I need it Cool
I also need lots of nice parts putting in ya return luggage !! Ha Ha
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2008, 08:55

Venice Beach... home of the freaks and undesirables. the metal structure is made from part of the old pier where the Dogtown guys used to surf back in the 70's

Hello from California... Thu3

I wonder how many hundreds of layers of grafitti are on these structures...

Hello from California... Thu4

Skater friendly landscape Very Happy

Hello from California... Thu5

Look closely, it's a game of spot the freak... i was waiting for him to fall off... mean i know Laughing

Hello from California... Thu6

Hello from California... Thu7

Jeff Ho's original Zephyr shop is now part of the Horizon surf shop but they have made it look like it did back in the day, it's just a display though

Hello from California... Thu10

Hello from California... Thu8

I went back to Horizon to get me a new Zephyr T as mines getting a bit threadbare... unfortunately Jeff has stopped making them Crying or Very sad these were just on display, i may come back later and ram raid the shop window Laughing

Hello from California... Thu9

Hello from California... Thu11

It's amazing how many 60's and 70's cars are been driven around by what i imagine is still their original owners as the cars are very original and the drivers old... someone will get a good buy when they eventually croak it Twisted Evil

Hello from California... Thu12

Original 50's cafe, i came here 4 years ago with Pascal and had to revisit as the burgers and atmosphere is great! they've kinda ruined the look with the green decals, what's that all about?

Hello from California... Thu13

No change here in the last 50 years... well not a lot anyway

Hello from California... Thu14

just another couple of interesting vehicles i spotted on the freeway....

Hello from California... Thu15

Hello from California... Thu16
Back to top Go down
super-craig

super-craig

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2008, 11:48

sure beats Derby Cool
Back to top Go down
dom67

dom67

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2008, 12:30

Looks like your having a good time Tim. The pictures have bought just bought memories flooding back of skating along Venice beach.

If you make it down to Huntingdon beach be sure to post some more pictures. Njoy the rest of your holiday i'm soooo jealous

Dom
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18 2008, 17:39

dom67 wrote:
Looks like your having a good time Tim. The pictures have bought just bought memories flooding back of skating along Venice beach.

If you make it down to Huntingdon beach be sure to post some more pictures. Njoy the rest of your holiday i'm soooo jealous

Dom

The first beach pics with the Pier was at Huntington Beach... sorry i forgot to say that but have edited it now...
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19 2008, 08:24

I went to Moon yesterday and Met up with all the guys i have to deal with including Shige the owner from Japan. it's always good to put faces to names and i was given a guided tour of the whole Moon workshop, shop and warehouse by Dean Moon Jr. thank you!

Here's the Moon workshop tour... i may not get the time to add all the details before my 24hours wifi runs out and i have to go out for the day but i'll finish it later when i get back in...

As you can see from the rest of my pics my camera phone works great outside but inside it's not so good so sorry for the poor quality of some of these pics

I was amazed how many of the products are still made in house, they use some very clever techniques to form all there spun products such as Moon discs, gas tanks and bullet caps

Hello from California... Moon

Here are what become the Fuel tank ends, starting off as a flat disc of Aluminium(at the bottom leaning against the pile) and then hand formed on a lathe into the end shape which is just the first process

Hello from California... Moon1

the second forming process is carried out by hand again and put the strengthening swageline in

Hello from California... Moon2

Here are some in various different sizes ready to be tig welded togther

Hello from California... Moon3

It's hard to believe the piece of round steel on the left is turned by hand to make the bullet centre cap on the right...

Hello from California... Moon4

These are 9" ford diff covers, all casting is carried out by another company then moon carry out all the machining...

Hello from California... Moon5

Hello from California... Moon6

Hello from California... Moon7

Hello from California... Moon8

Hello from California... Moon9

Hello from California... Moon10

This is Chico's new Salt flat racer, the engine has come out of another car and has already ran at well over 300mph, that is pretty impresive considering although it's a V8 it only runs on 4 cylinders so is only a 3L in affect! they had another V8 engine which only ran on 4 cylinders and was sleeved down to 2L, that ran at over 260mph!

Hello from California... Moon11

Hello from California... Moon12

Hello from California... Moon13

Hello from California... Moon15

Hello from California... Moon14

Hello from California... Moon16

Hello from California... Moon17

Hello from California... Moon18

Hello from California... Moon19

Last edited by Tim on Sun Apr 20 2008, 19:24; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
CHEERS

CHEERS

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19 2008, 15:07

looks like you're having a hell of a time there.......

Here, pick up my T-shirt form moon while you're there Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19 2008, 21:30

CHEERS wrote:
looks like you're having a hell of a time there.......

Here, pick up my T-shirt form moon while you're there Rolling Eyes

oh yeah i didn't think about that, good idea, what was the part number? size medium right?
Back to top Go down
CHEERS

CHEERS

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20 2008, 16:35

was only joking, but if you're giong back there....

MQT004WH

It's called roadster, yeah med or large, don't want it skin-tight! but sometimes yank sizes are a little generous! whatever is the same as a UK large.
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20 2008, 19:39

California shipping is just round the corner, i had a walk round there the other evening and took a few pics, obviously i couldn't get inside as they were shut and i dont use them to ship my cars anyway. due to the shit dollar rate against so many other currencies around the world there are thousands of cars leaving the states while people take advantage. california shipping has had to stop taking more cars in until they clear the backlog... they have also just raised the price of shipping a vehicle to the UK by $500... why? because they can obviously!

so if your thinking of importing a vehicle from the states in the near future expect it to take a lot longer and cost more than it has in the past...

Hello from California... Cash

Hello from California... Cash1

Hello from California... Cash2

Hello from California... Cash3

Hello from California... Cash4

Hello from California... Cash5

Hello from California... Cash6

Hello from California... Cash7

Hello from California... Cash8
Back to top Go down
super-craig

super-craig

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 05:49

some nice motors there Tim Cool a friend in texas was on about how bad things are in the states at present and how the price of fuel was way too expensive at $4-00 a gallon :shock: Laughing did point out the uk equivelant is around $10-00 a gallon Laughing

I did point that out but remember $5 to an american is the same as £5 to an English man when each is in his own cointry so there really isn't that much difference... plus there gallons are a litre smaller leaving the price of petrol actually very similar...
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 08:15

Saturday started off overcast and was a lot cooler, i'm sure you all have lots of sympathy for me Laughing

i headed down to San Clemente for a Tiki swapmeet, there were some Japanese guys there doing some really cool pistriping(i forgot to take a pic) and i met some good business contacts...

Hello from California... Sat

Hello from California... Sat1

Hello from California... Sat2

Another cool car just cruising down the freeway...

Hello from California... Sat3

I then headed down to San Diego city, it wasn't quite what i expected to be honest, just a big Highrise city with a lot of poncy clothes shops and tacky tourist areas... I had a good walk around for a couple of hours and although i did enjoy it i can't imagine rushing back...

Hello from California... Sat4

Hello from California... Sat5

Hello from California... Sat6

Hello from California... Sat7

Hello from California... Sat8

Hello from California... Sat9

There seems to be quite a lot of money floating around in this city, think it'll be a couple of years before i can afford a boat like this Laughing

Hello from California... Sat10

on the way down i saw this really cool secluded beach in the middle of nowhere which looked really cool and had some people surfing, i stopped off on the way back up but the gate was locked and this sign didn't make it look very inviting... i don't know how the dudes had got there motorhomes in, i didn't really have time to call the number and find out unfortunately

Hello from California... Sat11

Drove through some mountains and nice scenery on the way down and back up from San Diego, again it's hard to take pics when your driving a car at 80mph that has a tendency to try and skip lanes on it's own... good job ford.. not!

Hello from California... Sat12

Last edited by Tim on Mon Apr 21 2008, 09:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 08:50

super-craig wrote:
some nice motors there Tim Cool a friend in texas was on about how bad things are in the states at present and how the price of fuel was way too expensive at $4-00 a gallon :shock: Laughing did point out the uk equivelant is around $10-00 a gallon Laughing

I did point that out but remember $5 to an american is the same as £5 to an English man when each is in his own cointry so there really isn't that much difference... plus there gallons are a litre smaller leaving the price of petrol actually very similar...

I did point that out but you have to remember a US gallon is a litre smaller than ours and $5 is roughly the same to an American as £5 is to an English man when they are in their own countries... so it makes the fuel price very similar in affect..
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 09:52

Yesterday was Pomona swapmeet... what can i say... mind blowing!

We arrived just after 8am and probably only realistically saw half of what was there before everyone started packing up and going home at 1:30ish... there were well over 1000 cars for sale and thousands of parts traders. i must say the selection of VW's and parts was very dissapointing indeed!

Not a bad bay but with a corvair motor and hideous poptop has limited apeal in the UK...

Hello from California... Pom

Low light ghia... $550 anybody? suitable for race car only really...

Hello from California... Pom1

Hello from California... Pom2

Hello from California... Pom3

Hello from California... Pom4

Hello from California... Pom7

Hello from California... Pom8

Hello from California... Pom9

Hello from California... Pom10

Hello from California... Pom11

Hello from California... Pom12

Hello from California... Pom13

Hello from California... Pom14

Hello from California... Pom15

Hello from California... Pom16

This Impala had awesome original paint with really light surface rust... sort of car that wants leaving out in the Cali climate instead of being taken somewhere damp where it'll only deteriorate over time...

Hello from California... Pom17
Back to top Go down
Tim
Admin
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 11:44

I fell in love with this car... originally from Arizona, original paint, original interior... running and driving with the original V8 motor!

$7500, that's hell of a lot of car for less that £4k!

Hello from California... Pom18

Hello from California... Pom19

Hello from California... Pom20
Back to top Go down
Jay Jay

Jay Jay

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21 2008, 12:03

what you fucking about at? get it bought mate. :cheers:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from California...   Hello from California... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from California...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next